Tiger Woods turned down $700-$800 million offer to join Saudi-backed LIV Golf series, says CEO Greg Norman

Tiger Woods turned down $700-$800 million offer to join Saudi-backed LIV Golf series, says CEO Greg Norman

(CNN)Tiger Woods turned down an offer worth approximately $700-$800 million to join the Saudi-backed LIV Golf series, according to the tour's CEO Greg Norman.

During an interview on Fox News that aired on Monday, former world No. 1 Norman was asked

by Tucker Carlson if it was true that Woods was offered $700-$800 million to join the LIV Golf series.

"That number was out there before I became CEO," Norman replied

"So, that number's been out there, yes. Look, Tiger's a needle mover, right?

"So, of course, you're going to look at the best of the best. They had originally approached Tiger before I became CEO

so, yes, that number is somewhere in that neighborhood."

Previously, Norman had told the Washington Post in June that Woods was offered huge money to participate but turned it down

 Norman said the Woods proposal was "mind-blowingly enormous; we're talking about high nine digits."